Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Attitude Is Everything!


 Amanda has Attitude!
I shot a bridal session with Amanda this past Saturday. It was a beautiful warm afternoon with just enough breeze to bring her dress and hair to life. Amanda has attitude. Sure, she's beautiful, but it's her fun and care-free personality that makes her pictures so great.  All brides should bring to their shoot Amanda's relaxed, confident and playful style.

We met up in Plymouth. I had my step daughter Uka with me as my assistant. Amanda had her sister and maid of honor Becky along with Jenny her wedding coordinator to help with her dress and the many props we brought for the shoot. Coming from a commercial photo-graphy background I liked that Jenny was acting almost as art director. The collaborative process always works well for me so Jenny's input was a welcomed contribution. 

Barn Doors
The five of us piled into the mini van along with my camera gear and all of the photo props which included among other things paper umbrellas, helium filled balloons picture frames and an enormous antique trunk.

Our first stop was an old dairy farm just outside of Plymouth. We couldn't stay long because the farm was busy bailing hay and putting it away in the hay loft. The light just inside the barn doors made for perfect beauty lighting.  This is my favorite lighting scenario, and I seek it out whenever I'm shooting with natural light on location. I look for a place where the model can be out of the direct sunlight yet still lit by the bright open sky and the sun reflecting off the ground and opposing walls. For me there is no lighting better than this for natural beauty.

The next stop on our photography adventure was 20 minutes down the road to Saint Cloud where we found yet another old barn. On this stop we made use of a few of the props Jenny packed in the back of the van.



Work is Fun
Honestly, I just want to have fun. When I'm having fun my models are having fun, and it shows in their pictures. I like to push my subjects out of their comfort zone. I do what ever I can to distract them from "posing." I'm always looking for that moment when everything looks perfectly natural and believable. 

Fly Away
By the end of the day we made our way back to Plymouth and down to the Mullet River.
We all were getting into the shoot. Everyone was suggesting angles and backgrounds, and Amanda was going along with all of it. We had her running in her dress, sitting in tall grass and even climbing on rocks.

I took this picture while standing in water well over knee deep in the middle of the Mullet river. I needed to be in the river to get the best angle for the shot. Losing the balloons and seeing them drifting away was a fitting end to a fantastic day of photography.



photo by Uranbelig Bavuudorj







My twenty-year career as a commercial and editorial photographer has allowed me to work for clients in such major markets as Dallas, Houston, Miami, New Orleans, Minneapolis, and Washington DC. 

My wedding portfolio can be seen at ingenuepix.com.

Link over to my Senior Pictures blog to see samples of my high energy and fashion oriented senior pictures.

To see my commercial and fashion work visit hethornphotography.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment